Sunday, November 24, 2013

A White Guy Makes Idlis

Tiered idli steamer 
I said last week that I'm trying to make more food in the coming weeks and months. I wasn't kidding. Since that post, I made butterscotch pecan ice cream to share with students and colleagues, used the rest of my brioche dough from last week's sticky buns to make "craqueline," had a cousin over for dinner, and today had more friends over for brunch. I'm not sure if this pace is sustainable, but you get the idea. And I will spare you a blog post on every single item.

One thing worth writing about, though, are idlis, which I made for brunch this morning. I discovered idlis when visiting my sister in Singapore  a few years ago. To refresh your memory, idlis are small, puffy, steamed pancakes made from a combination of rice and lentils. They are popular in South India, where they are typically served with chutneys and sambar (a soupy vegetable curry with lentils) for dipping. They are both healthful and delicious. When I was last in Singapore I bought a special idli steaming pan to replicate the experience at home, which I've played with a few times.

The first thing I learned about making idlis is that there are roughly a zillion different recipes, and the goal is for them to be very soft. If you google, you'll find a ton of different recipes, mostly involving skinned urad dhal (black lentils) and at least one product made from what seems to be a discrete type of rice known as "idli rice" (available as rice, rice flour or idli rava), plus maybe a few fenugreek seeds. Some also have puffed or flaked rice. Each recipe also promises idlis as soft as your grandmother's, and much softer than those awful idlis you get at <insert restaurant or grocery store here>.

You'll also realize that these recipes were mostly written by and for people who have grandmothers that actually made idlis. They tell you to put everything in your "wet grinder," to use salt "as necessary," to wait until the batter has risen "enough," and that the temperature should be about 30 C (86 F) for things to work out. But...what if you don't know what a wet grinder is or how much salt is necessary, have no idea how much rising is enough, or live in Chicago and it's November?

Making sambar to serve
with idlis
I did more research. One thing I learned is that you can buy already-made idli batter at Indian grocery stores. Given that my grandmothers were more likely to be making rugelach and matzo balls than idlis, that comparison case wasn't an issue. I tried this and the idlis were fine. But given all the hype (and variety in the recipes), I was hungry for more. And not just more idlis.

So I did more research. I found lots of recipes, but the most helpful description was in Sandor Ellix Katz's amazing new book The Art of Fermentation. He points out that idli batter is fermented using microbes naturally present in the ingredients and allowed to rise, and steamed once it is visibly rising (but before it is done rising so that the nutrients are not exhausted). Helpfully, he also notes that recipes vary widely in the ratio of lentils to rice, but this mostly just affects flavor and reflects the relative market prices of each item. Idlis can be made with ratios ranging from 1:4 to 4:1. And he says that, in colder temperatures, it can take up to 48 hours for the fermentation process to get going.

Idli batter
Armed with this information, I roughly knew that I just needed to find a ratio that worked, get my hands on the necessary products, and do some fermentation. Urad dhal is easy to find in Indian groceries. Idli rice is a bit trickier because there's the whole rice, rice flour and the rava (which I now know is "cream of rice"). I went with the rava, on the advice of the cashier at the Indian grocery store who said she had never actually made idlis from scratch.

After some more googling, I found a recipe that seemed to have good ratios (2 cups idli rava, 3/4 cup urad dhal, 7-8 fenugreek seeds) and to break the process into fairly understandable steps. First, I soaked the idli rava and urad dhal plus fenugreek seeds, in separate bowls overnight. Then I drained the water from both bowls and combined the wet dhal, fenugreek seeds and idli rava in the food processor. I ground them until the batter was smooth, and poured it into a large bowl. I then put the bowl in a warm spot to rise overnight.

Empty idli steamer.
They didn't rise a ton, but they did foam up a bit and it was time for brunch...so I couldn't wait much longer. Idlis are steamed in a special tiered steaming pot. There are 4 tiers of idli molds that sit atop boiling water. I sprayed each mold with a bit of non-stick spray, filled the molds up, and let them steam.

After 10 minutes or so, the idlis were ready. They look and feel fairly firm when ready, and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center. They were pretty good. And I suppose softer than my grandmother's, so a win?

To serve alongside the idlis, I made sambar and cilantro/mint chutney from Maya Kaimal's Curried Favors. This makes for a tasty and hearty meal that is -- as my friends today pointed out -- a nice alternative to heavier, egg-laden fare that is so often served for brunch.


2 comments: